Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Fun with hives

My son is allergic to.. everything. Sort of. It feels that way some days. Actually the list runs more like this:
  1. rice
  2. potatoes
  3. wheat
  4. soy
  5. garlic
  6. onions
  7. peanuts
  8. dairy
The dairy part doesn't bother me so much, as we're vegan. I made the switch when Jax was born. He couldn't tolerate the tiniest bit of cheese in my diet without breaking out in hives, and furthermore I finally became able to understand the abuses suffered by dairy cows. The wheat and soy bit, though - that's been a hard one for us. We didn't eat a lot of meat substitutes, but now they're totally out for us. Not to mention garlic's role in just about every type of cuisine.

We are still nursing, and so anything I eat, Jax eats. Therefore I'm unable to eat the offending foods as well. And out of solidarity (and a desire to avoid washing two sets of pans every night) Andy is avoiding these items at dinnertime too.

Where does that leave us for dinner? It's been interesting. We are still trying to work out which foods are the worst offenders, and which he can eat occasionally without harm. So far, we've only tried potatoes and onions. It's not looking good.

No comments: