Monday, April 16, 2007

Fruity

I do so love fruit salad. We haven't had any in a while. Where I come from, traditional fruit salad is made with sour cream. Obviously, we could leave it out and just have the actual fruit, but that wouldn't be much fun. So when the mood hit me yesterday for fruit salad, I thought about it, surveyed the contents of my pantry, and hit on it: pudding mix. As best I can tell, Jello pudding is mainly cornstarch and sugar. Perfect.

And it was. I could really have used two boxes, since I don't drain the fruit, but it was quite tasty. I'm enjoying a bowl of it right now. This is the combination I like best:

One 14-oz can each: mandarin oranges, sliced peaches, pineapple chunks or bits, all undrained
Handful shredded coconut
Handful jumbo raisins
Handful blueberries
Two small bananas, sliced
Maraschino cherries
Two boxes vanilla pudding mix

Dump it all in a bowl, mix, cover tightly, and soak for an hour or two till your raisins are plump.

Easy-peasy.

No comments: